Library of Congress StradivariusThe Music Division, created in 1896, now contains about eight million items, such as book collections, music manuscripts, literary manuscripts, microforms, copyright deposits, among others. The Music Division began its collection of instruments when a woman by the name of Mrs. Gertrude Clarke Whittall, together with violinist Louis Krasner, worked together to locate five Antonio Stradivari instruments, including the Stradivarius violin. Mrs. Whittall, known for her soirees musicales which were held in her home, wanted her own instruments, and soon enough, bought a set of them in 1934 and 1935. These instruments were the “Castelbarco”, the “Cassavetti,” the “Ward,” the “Castelbarco”, and the “Betts”. The purchase of these instruments led to the Whittall Pavilion, which was completed and established in 1939. Numerous musical collections exist in the Library of Congress, including the Cremonese Collection. The first ensemble to regularly play the Stradivari instruments was the Budapest String Quartet. After the Budapest String Quartet, the Julliard String Quartet continued to play the Stradivari instruments, and to this day, they continue this tradition in the Coolidge Auditorium. Other musical collections include: the Wilkins Collection, the Miller Collection, and the Thai Collection. The Wilkins Collection was the second instrument collection established at the Library, and includes six stringed instruments, all of which were donated by Dr. H. Blaikiston Wilkins. The Miller Collection was the third collection to be established, and this collection not only includes more than 1,600 instruments, but thousands of pieces of music and books as well. The Thai collection includes instruments such as the ching, the thon, the rammana, the khlui, the ja-khe, and many others.